I posted this checklist as the close of, ‘If you based your vote on Russian Facebook ads you were tricked‘ but decided to post it as an Info-graphic for
people to download and share.
This check-list comes from the Ukraine so the translation into English is a
little shaky. The point is Trump/Putin are pulling the same stunts in the
The only way to stop Putin’s Cyber Attacks is to take his weapon away
from him. We can that, in part, by saying no to his racist appeals and
cynical distortions of the truth.
Russian information warfare is a psychological attack based on decades
of advanced Soviet Era research into human behavior.
Peter Pomerantsev, the author of “Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible: The Surreal Heart of the New Russia” says, “Moscow’s propaganda works because it breaks down the distinctions between fact and fiction and provides emotionally satisfying narratives regardless of their truthfulness.”
“The Kremlin narrative,” says Pomerantsev, “is ‘there is no truth out there, and you’ll never find it; but go with us because our emotional content is more vital.”
That promotes cynicism and “cynicism breaks down critical thinking” because at its root is something quite medieval and emotional – a world of myths and storytelling.”
“When you don’t believe in facts,” Pomerantsev concludes, “you are just left with that.”
from Euromaidan Press (EP)
Russian Propaganda Works by confusing fact with fiction
Please download and share the graphic.
I finally had a long hard look at Russia’s 2016 Facebook ads.
The Vladster had a Facebook Page for everyone.
Were you a Blacktivist? Vlad was there with a false story
to convince you your government has always hated you:
Actually, the Black Panther’s formed as an armed citizens’ patrol to monitor the behavior of officers of the Oakland Police Department and challenge police brutality in Oakland, California. The Justice Department was formed to fight the KKK.
Are you LGBTQ? Vlad wants you to think of Bernie Sanders as a gay rights
superhero (especially ‘Berniacs’ who didn’t know Clinton and Sanders held
the same positions on Gay Rights):
Or maybe you’re concerned about Police Brutality and the killings of
Perhaps you wondered if Black Lives Matter was a problem:
Or maybe you were a ‘Woke Black’ willing to think the ‘Democrat welfare
state’ keeps Black People down:
If you were a white supremacist who kept his racist shit to himself, Vladdy
was there to set you free, with this:
And if you happen to hate Trump, Vladdy has a Facebook page for you, too!
Information is your best defense against Russian bullshit.
If you see one or more of the following 15 points in a news story, or hear them used by a public figure be suspicious:
- A black and white division of the world into “ours” and the “alien” other;
- Epithets that imply more than they describe;
- Constant assertions that those supporting Putin or Trump are more numerous and united. (The results of manipulated and flawed polls are often used to support such assertions);
- Empty declarations that mean nothing but seem to promise or
- Playing games with cause and effect, often reversing their true order;
- Making false accusations but not providing proof;
- A vicious circle or tautology where the second part of an
assertion is simply a repetition of the first;
- Confusing the part with the whole by focusing on only one part
of something such as liberals within the opposition;
- Creating false dilemmas that don’t exist;
- Careful preparation of headlines which are the only thing
most people pay attention to;
- Citations to experts, often false and even more often out of context;
- Claiming all media reports when only one media outlet does;
- Using weasel words like “so-called” or “it would appear” to give an appearance of objectivity;
- Outright falsification; and
- Conspiracy theories and suggestion of hidden motives.
The 15 Point Propaganda Check List is from Euromaidan Press
Russian Facebook ads found at the NYT and Google Search
Check out these two new songs from The USA Singers:
The USA Singers – MAGA
(I’m Not) Kellyanne
Words by Frankie D. Roosevelvet, Music by Frankie D. Roosevelvet & Rutherford Purple Hayes